Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Hooray for wonderful teachers!

Last year we really disliked Kathryn's second grade teacher. I could write an entire blog on her negativity, but instead I will focus on Kathryn's third grade teacher. Mrs. Sumers is WONDERFUL! Thank you Lord! Teachers make such an impact on these little ones- sometimes negative, sometimes positive. I wish that the negative ones would find a new profession. Kathryn was made to feel like she was "slow" and could never do anything right last year (ironically, her state standardized test results came over the summer and she did great- scored 100% in several areas!). That is a horrible thing to do to a child just because you are unhappy in your job and should have retired decades ago. Anyway, she has only been in school for 5 days and is already a different child with a different attitude about school. Her teacher is drowning her in positive reinforcement and letting her know that she can do it. Kathryn is a brilliant child (I know, I am her mother), but has trouble sitting in a chair all day long doing worksheets (last year). She is so much better off participating in hands-on activities, creative thinking, etc. I am actually excited about this year- woohoo!

Also, I have tons of pictures to upload, but cannot find the USB cable to connect to the computer. We moved several weeks ago and I am not exactly sure where I put it. I will work on that and update pictures soon.

Well, need to go. I am the Brownie co-leader this year and need to help the leader plan tomorrow's first meeting. Headed for the park to enjoy this beautiful weather (high of 76 today) and let the kids play while we plan. I'll be thinking of those of you in Hurricane Ike's path and pray that everyone is safe.

2 comments:

mypoolisbetterthanmysister's said...

Yay!!! I was thinking about you guys tonight while we were at church. I am SO glad she has a good teacher this year! We're all fine so far- just trying to figure out where to go- that's pretty tricky. DP has cancelled school for Friday, and I'm waiting for the academy to go ahead and do it. I'm sure they will...my hair appointment and doctor's appointments that I had scheduled for Th and Fri have been cancelled :o( i need my roots done in the worst way possible! austin's practice and football game have been cancelled. Other than being on "Ike watch" and skimming the McCain website for yard signs, there's nothing much going on here.

Dancing Queen said...

teachers TOTALLY set the stage...that's why(while I'm able) i will ALWAYS write a letter sharing my wishes for what kind of teacher i want/need for my kiddos...it is so, so important & sets the stage forever!!

glad this year is off to a super start! are you at the same school?