Monday, July 21, 2008

Willy Wonka Heaven!



We visited a super-cool candy store last weekend. It is called Powell's Sweet Shoppe and they have stores in several places, but one just opened in nearby Laguna Niguel. They have over 5000 types of sweets stacked floor to ceiling. The kids were super-excited as we arrived and they grabbed buckets to fill. I think that Ronnie and I ended up being pretty happy too and were more nostalgic than we had planned. We got moonpies, candy cigarettes, chicko sticks, coconut longboys, and those little wax bottles filled with sweet liquid- you have to bite the top off and drink- remember? Oh my goodness, there were so many things that brought me back to childhood- the sights (sock monkeys!), smells (candy cigarettes still smell the same when you open the box!)- it was sensory overload.
I planned on taking more pictures, but I got a little too excited and it was hard to keep track of the kids (and Ronnie) running through the store.



What a fun place. I would love to own a place like this, but I would be too big to fit through the door after all of the required sampling. I just about made myself sick pouring 5 foot pixie stix down my mouth as we traveled oceanside down Pacific Highway 1 back home...








3 comments:

mypoolisbetterthanmysister's said...

YUMMY!!!!
I am so jealous! I opened up a blog spot for myself but haven't done a thing to it! maybe tomorrow i can sit down and work on it!
---stacey (mom and dad said hi!)

Dancing Queen said...

That looks SOOO fun! Our kiddos would go absolutely crazy! Glad ya'll are finding fun places to check out...I bet it'll be a repeater!

Come visit me...you may find a surprise waiting for you!

MamaMia said...

You just took me down memory lane with all those candies you mentioned.

What a neat place to go as a family.